Make-up Remover: African Black Soap


I fell in love with the African Black Soap at some point during my natural hair journey. I was definitely rocking the "all natural" persona (to a point). I must have read some rave reviews on using black soap as a make-up remover/face soap which would be my reason for getting it. I've never bought a high-end make-up remover, just the basic drug store brands and therefore there were nothing remarkable about them. Why not black soap, right?



I used to purchase my African Black Soap at Ayoushe (Antigua) for EC$19.95. They last FOREVER so the price was not an issue. But now I just purchase them at the street-side vendors on Market Street (Antigua) for the simple reason that I rather support them in their effort at making an honest living. The first soap I initially purchased from Lee-P-Ching was a disappointment. It was literally a soap which looked like it was dyed black with a few elements in it to give the persona of black soap. It was made in New York. I cannot remember the name or brand but I knew for a fact that it was not the "good stuff". It is important that we know how a black soap should look. However, I bought it, so I still used it. Today, tho, I saw on his table the Dudu-Osun Black Soap and I could see from through the plastic that this was more like the African Black Soap I was used to so I purchased it for EC$10.00.

Personally  I love using black soap to remove my make-up. I have not gone back to regular make-up removers since I started using black soap. I find them quite effective. The instant the lather touches my face I immediately see the make-up coming right off. It is pocket friendly and lasts a very long time. The Dudu-Osun Black Soap also happens to smell quite lovely. My skin did not feel stripped after use. I always use a moisturizer after cleansing my skin. I use a cross between my Ponds Clearant B3 and good ole coconut oil. I loooove using coconut oil on my face. In the morning my face is 'glowing' and feels hydrated. I have this beautiful shine that is non-oily. I use the Ponds to help with the dark spots my acne leaves behind.

Here is a bit of information about the soap itself:

  • All Natural
  • No artificial colors
  • No preservatives
  • Made in Nigeria
  • Nature's Cure for All Skin Problems and Skin Types
  • Great for Eczema, Psoriasis, Acne and Dermatitis!

Indications
Ezcema, Psorasis, Acne, Stretch Marks, Skin Discolorations, Sore Muscles, Blemished Skin, Any skin problems.

Ingredients
Ingredients: Pure honey, Shea Butter, Osun (Camwood), Potassium Palmkernelate, Sodium Palm kernelate, Glycerin, Aloe Vera, Lime Juice, Lemon Juice, Water & Fragrance.

Directions
Use daily on affected areas. For the best results, do not use any other lotions, perfumes or moisturizers that contain dyes, perfumes or unnatural ingredients.


I am only using it as a make-up remover and any added benefits will be a bonus! I remember when I went to Gleanette's to purchase my Revlon ColorStay Foundation, the lady asked if I have a make-up remover. I told her that I used black soap to take off my make-up. She sucked her teeth and told me to just buy a proper make-up remover. Back in the day, I would have caved and make the purchase but I am now confident in my choices so I simply told her that I am satisfied with the black soap and would not be purchasing the name brand make-up remover (#proud moment for me!).


Have you been using African Black Soap or any other black soap for your skin, as a make-up remover or otherwise? I would love to hear from you =)

Comments

  1. Hey there!

    I stumbled across your blog by chance, and I'm so glad I did. Loving your honest approach. Very informative.

    I, like you, use black soap but I only use it as makeup remover once in a blue. What I do use it regularly for is showers :-) Yes, showers! Whenever I've had a particularly rough day, I shower with black soap because the sweet aromas just lighten up my mood instantly, and because it's all organic I have no fears of having any allergic reactions. Definitely a must try!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Talk back to me!

Popular Posts